app-store-icon play-store-icon
Online Game Ban: Head Digital Works challenges ban on online money gaming, HC to hear Sat

Real-Time MoneyWire is available only to registered users. This is best for professional traders and people who track markets actively.Real-Time MoneyWire is available only to registered users. This is best for professional traders and people who track markets actively.

Please register for a 30-day free trial. Click here
Online Game Ban

Head Digital Works challenges ban on online money gaming, HC to hear Sat

This story was originally published at 13:46 IST on August 28, 2025  Back
Register to read our real-time news.

Informist, Thursday, Aug. 28, 2025

NEW DELHI – Head Digital Works Pvt. Ltd. which operates India's marquee gaming brand 'A23' Thursday moved the Karnataka High Court against the government's "complete ban" on online money gaming in India. The matter was mentioned in the court by Head Digital Works' counsels for urgent listing. Agreeing to it, the high court listed the case for hearing on Saturday.

Last week, President Droupadi Murmu gave her assent to the Promotion and Regulation of Online Gaming Bill, 2025, after which it became an Act. The act, imposing a complete ban on online money games, applies to games of chance, games of skill, and those that combine both. The act prohibits advertising and promotion of such games and financial transactions related to these platforms cannot be processed by banks or payment systems. Further, the authorities will also be empowered to block access to unlawful platforms under the Information Technology Act, 2000.

The petitioner said that the ban was against the Article 19(1)(g) of the Indian Constitution, which grants all citizens the fundamental right to practice any profession, occupation, trade, or business. Further, the petitioner argued that the ban on online money games was against the Right to Equality under Article 14 as it was being given discriminatory treatment, where similar physical format games were untouched. The petitioner said that the ban would cause a potential loss of over 200,000 jobs, INR 310 billion in annual revenues and over INR 200 billion in tax contributions.

Under the act, strict punishments have been introduced such as offering or facilitating online money games can lead to imprisonment of up to three years and a fine of up to INR 10 million. Further, financial transactions linked to these games are also punishable with similar penalties. Advertising such games can attract a jail term of up to two years and a fine of up to INR 5 million under the act. Repeat offenders face harsher punishments, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to INR 20 million. Offences under key provisions will be cognisable and non-bailable, which means police can arrest without a warrant and bail is not a right.

According to the government, the rapid spread of online money games has created serious risks for individuals, families and the nation. While digital technology has brought many benefits, these games have exploited loopholes in the law and caused deep social harm, said the government. The government said that according to an estimate, 450 million people were negatively affected by online money games and faced a loss of more than INR 200 billion because of it. The government said that it has acted to close these gaps and protect citizens.

The online money gaming segment involves games where financial stakes are involved, whether based on chance, skill, or a combination of both. These platforms have raised serious concern due to reports of addiction, financial losses, money laundering, and even cases of suicide linked to heavy monetary losses, said the government. End

Reported by Surya Tripathi

Edited by Akul Nishant Akhoury

For users of real-time market data terminals, Informist news is available exclusively on the NSE Cogencis WorkStation.

Cogencis news is now Informist news. This follows the acquisition of Cogencis Information Services Ltd. by NSE Data & Analytics Ltd., a 100% subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. As a part of the transaction, the news department of Cogencis has been sold to Informist Media Pvt. Ltd.

Informist Media Tel +91 (11) 4220-1000

Send comments to feedback@informistmedia.com

© Informist Media Pvt. Ltd. 2025. All rights reserved.